Friday, October 25, 2024

Kodak’s Duaflex III and FPP Color 620 film

Duaflex III duo - Kodet lens model L, and Kodar lens model, R

I’ve long been a proponent of using some of Kodak’s 620 pseudo-TLR cameras, such as the Duaflex series and the Brownie Reflex 20.  Of course, while these cameras are all over 60 years old, they still have better optics than a new Holga 120N.  Their Bakelite and metal bodies are sturdy, and if you want a fun experience, I highly recommend the the Duaflex III.  Note that not every Duaflex III is the same, which can be said for the original Duaflex as well as the  Duaflex II, III, and IV models.  There are two versions of each. The most basic models have a Kodet Lens, with no focus or aperture adjustment.  The Kodet lens models have an aperture of about f/15 and fixed focus. The better models have a Kodar f/8 lens, with adjustable zone focus and apertures of f/8, f/11, and f/16.  The shutter speed is generally about 1/30 sec, and may be as fast as 1/60 sec, depending on the camera. My shutter tester indicated that my Duaflex III Kodar has a shutter speed of 1/48 sec. 

The Brownie Reflex 20, 10 years newer than the Duaflex III

All Duaflex cameras are pseudo-TLRs, meaning that the brilliant viewfinder is not connected to the focus mechanism.  These are in reality, just box cameras with a nice, bright viewfinder above the lens.  While the basic cameras with the Kodet lenses are simple (and do have double-exposure prevention), you are limited by the non-adjustable aperture and focus.  The Kodar-lensed models have a 72mm lens and can focus from 3.5 feet to infinity.  So, my suggestion is to make the best of the 620 film that you use by shooting with the better versions of any Duaflex model - i.e., Kodar lensed versions with an f/8 lens.  

Ready to go out and do some shootin! Note the expensive strap.


I have a bunch of Duaflexes that I have obtained over the years, and though I rarely use them, every once in a while I get an urge to take one out.  Typically, I respool the film from a roll of 120 to a 620 spool, but I had a couple of rolls of the FPP Color 620, with factory-fresh film.  I loaded up the Duaflex III back in August, and shot the roll over a couple of weeks.    The exposed film sat around for a while, and I sent it out to The Darkroom Lab for processing.  I was really pleased with the results from this 70 year old camera.  In fact, in might now be my favorite 620 camera.


Pseudo-TLR cameras are pretty numerous for 620 film - The Argus 75, The Argus Super 75,  and Argus 40 are fairly common.  There are also others - the Bolseyflex, the Anscoflex I and II, the Duaflex series, the Brownie Reflex 20 as well as the Brownie Reflex for 127 film.  The Herbert George Instaflash might be the crappiest of them all.  The Imperial Reflex and the USC Reflex III, and the little Ansco Panda are all 620 pseudo-TLRs.  Of all of these, the very adjustable Argus 40 might be the best, as you can control shutter speeds, aperture, and focus!  


However, the results that I get with my Duaflex III seem particular to that camera, so it is a keeper for me.  

Here are a few images from that roll of FPP Color 620 (basic scan from The Darkroom):








Where can you get 620 film?

First of all, if you don’t want to respool from 120 to 620 yourself, you can purchase film on 620 spools from the Film Photography Project Store.  (Note - the next time someone says 120mm film smack them aside the head with a Duaflex!).   The FPP 620 color and Basic B&W 620 films are perfect for these cameras.  Other retailers such as B&H and Unique Photo also carry the FPP films.  I also see Shanghai GP3 620 film available on eBay.  I’ve used that film in 127 format, and it isn’t the greatest.  I saw many emulsion defects.  

If you already have a supply of 120 film and some 620 spools, you can do the respooling yourself if you have a darkbag or darkroom available.  There are many tutorials online on how to do it. In any case, try one of these 620 cameras and see how much fun they are to use.








No comments: