Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Coming soon... FPP's 620 Color!

Back in October, I received some rolls of film to test for the Film Photography Project.  Two were from  a batch of color film rolled onto 620 spools by a vendor for the FPP.  What's not to like?  How many of us have cameras that use 620 film?  Back when I was testing various models for my guide to medium format toy cameras, (Monochrome Mania No. 3 - now out of print), I respooled a bunch of b&w film.  My fingers got cramps doing it.  Aside from a few cameras that really deserve my respooling efforts, I haven't used 620 all that much lately.  However, COLOR on 620 is pretty hard to resist.  My favorite low-fi 620 cameras have been the Kodak Brownie Reflex 20 (pictured below) and the Kodak Brownie Twin 20.  Both cameras are quite similar feature-wise, and a lot of fun to use.  I loaded the FPP 620 Color Beta Test 2023 into the Reflex 20, and shot the roll locally and while on my trip to Dutchess County, NY at the end of October.




When I went to unload the finished roll from the camera, it slipped from my hand and I had to re-roll the backing paper a bit to tighten it, so I probably introduced some edge light leaks, which showed up when I got the developed film back from Ball Photo in Asheville.






Anyhow, I love the results overall, and the Film Photography Project's new 620 film is for now, a "beta" film, yet to be officially released.  Keep your eye on their announcements for this film.  It's certainly going to be a welcome addition for anyone wanting to use a 620 camera!

No comments: