Thursday, January 27, 2022

New Classic EZ400 film - One Roll Review


I'm always pleased to see the appearance of another boutique film.  New Classic is a new outlet for boutique films, and the EZ400 is their first film.  I ordered a couple of rolls from the Film Photography Project Store, and shot one roll a couple of days ago. I really love the cardboard packaging for the cassette, and it even has a QR code on the top that takes you to their web site so that you can get the developing information.  I think that's something every manufacturer should do.  The film comes in a 36-exposure roll, which I greatly appreciate.  I'm someone that goes through a lot of film in a year, and I prefer the longer rolls.  

The film cassette does not have a DX code, so it's not a good choice for one of those point and shoots that rely on the codes to detect the ISO.  However, since most of my cameras require me to set the ISO manually, it's not a problem.  

I took my Nikon F3HP and went to downtown Asheville with it on Jan. 25, and shot the entire roll within an hour.  I developed it the next day in HC110-B for 6.5 minutes per the instructions,  Overall, I am pleased with the results, The film has some grain, for sure, and to me, it resembles Fomapan 400, which it certainly could be.  I also note that when there are specular highlights, there is some "blooming" going on, which I'll point out below. 

I wouldn't say that this film is a favorite, compared to my standby, Kentmere 400 (Ultrafine Extreme 400),  Ilford HP-5+ or  Kodak Tmax 400, but it's okay, and at the price it sells for, it's a good alternative b&w film to put in your camera.  If you like the way it renders a scene, then it's perfect!  One thing I really appreciated was the absolute flatness if the film in the scanner holder.  

I love the packaging, and I hope that other film manufacturers will consider the cardboard cylinders.  

Here are some results (scanned with an Epson V700):







note the specular highlights on the trumpet!



1 comment:

Khürt Williams said...

FPP was sold out, but I bought four tools from a bicycle shop!

https://meserollshop.com/products/new-classic-35mm-camera-film

Thanks for sharing your photographs. I have one roll in my XD-11, and I hope the results are as good as yours.