Monday, January 06, 2020

Announcing Monochrome Mania No. 1

A few months ago I decided that I would start working on a photo zine dedicated to b&w photography, and especially film-based b&w.    It went through several iterations before I was happy with the final result, and I am pleased to announce that MONOCHROME MANIA issue #1 is available.  I am really pleased with the printing and quality of this zine, and if you are at all interested in b&w, I think you'll enjoy it, too.  Issue 1 is all about slow-films -  b&w films with an ISO of 50 or lower.  I don't review every film, but they are listed in the text, and it should be seen as a starting point if you have not yet shot slow films.    I also include information of developing, and use my photographs as examples for the films I write about.  It's 40 pages, with thicker covers, saddle-stitched, and 8.5 x 11 inches.  The cost?  Cheap.  TEN BUCKS, which includes US postage. Overseas shipping would be for a 9x12 envelope weighing 7 ounces, which adds $8.  Canadians pay $3.54 postage.   You can go to this form for ordering info.

My aim is to publish Monochrome Mania at least twice a year, and while the focus will be on my own photography, I haven't ruled out something like an issue featuring the contributed work of others.   You can see my promo video on YouTube.


4 comments:

milldave said...

Hi Mark,
Finally got home from my travels to read the opening edition of Monochrome Mania, which arrived during this time.
Great job!
Really enjoyed reading it, added some useful information to my B&W database - I've been an Ilford Delta 100 user for far too long, both 120 and 35mm.
Love the "warts 'n' all" approach to your writing, which helps me better appreciate some of my earlier failures.
You're right, there's nothing more satisfying than doing home development, even if the printing part is no longer an option (space and adequate ventilation being the main obstacles to overcome).
Looking forward to #2 with great anticipation.
And, at $10, it's a steal!!
With regards,
David

mfophotos said...

Dave,
Thanks for your comment! I have been pleased with the sales of the zine so far. I had 100 copies printed, so box two is unopened at this time. I enjoy sharing my failures, too. It's not like everything happens right on the first try.
Best wishes,
Mark

Mark said...

I just received Issue No. 1 today and read through the whole thing. I've not been too happy with low ISO film but MM1 has inspired me to give it another go. I have a roll of FPP Ortho Film 6566 which I guess is the same as their (out of stock) Kodalith Type 3, which I really need to get out and shoot. I see you have used Diafine for Kodalith; that's one of only two developers, the other being Rodinal (other than caffenol that I can make up to order) as I find that I usually end up wasting anything else; it goes bad before I can use it all up. Diafine and Rodinal seem to last forever. So--whenever I shoot that 6566 I'll use Diafine, though I wonder if I should meter at ISO 12 since Diafine advertises itself as doubling effective film speed.

Ignoto said...

I assume that the edition is out of print.
If you re-edit and send to Spain, put me down for one.