Saturday, September 18, 2010

Success with the Diana Pinhole

forces of nature


Back in late May, which seems so far away now, I spent a week in Marquette, MI and spent most of my time there doing photography. I think it was a very productive time, and I ended up with a number of really good images. Some were digital and some were film. I sometimes take a while getting around to developing the films from such bursts of creativity, and the last of the 35mm was done a few weeks ago. Last weekend I finished up the 120 film. One roll was from my Diana+ (from Lomo), which has the pinhole setting. I rarely have used that, and I'm not sure why. Anyhow, I was at Presque Isle, late in the day. Though most of the day (and that week, for that matter) was hot, that evening, an offshore breeze was bringing in cool air from the still cold Lake Superior. A storm was threatening, and I was hoping to get some dramatic shots. Well, the storm didn't materialize during the daylight hours, but the cloud buildup was nice. The temperature must have dropped 30 degrees along the lakeshore, and I was getting cold. My last few images for the day were taken with the Diana. I set the tripod up along the shoreline and the rocky shore provided some contrast to the lake as it was merging with the sky. I made a series of exposures -- all just guesstimates on the B setting, of course. I think the one above captured the scene the best.

No comments: