Saturday, January 05, 2008

Looking back and looking forward

snowy huron

I was going to do a New Year's Day post, but it turns out that I wanted to watch TV and see the Buffalo Sabres vs Pittsburgh Penguins NHL game that was outdoors in Buffalo, followed by the college bowl games than type away on the computer. OK, so my couch-potato day is now a memory, and speaking of memories, I'd like to list my personal favorite memories (photographic-wise) from 2007 in chronological order:

  • My Through a Lens Softly exhibit last February at the Pierpont Commons
  • The Cheap Shots exhibit in March with other Ann Arbor Crappy Camera people outside
  • The Naslanic estate sale, which inundated SE Michigan with tons of photographic equipment... a bit of which is still in my garage.
  • The trip to the Door Peninsula in Wisconsin with my daughter, Marjorie.
  • My trip to the UM Biological Station in July - where I collected dragonflies for the Bioblitz & photographed them and the landscape. I came away with some memorable photos. Progomphus obscurus
  • Our trip to New York state -- Marjorie and I shot a lot of things, my favorite spots being the Amenia cemetery and Rochester - especially the Eastman house. deco Kodaks
  • Argus Day in August. I didn't know that would be the last time I saw my friend George O'Neal.
  • Shooting the Huron mountain Club for a day.
  • My friend Barb Dingwall's visit. We had a great time. Nice Nettar User
  • Seeing Marjorie's photos in Detroit Home magazine!

Throughout the year, and for several years, I have maintained some great contacts via Flickr, as well as them becoming friends that are meaningful to me. You know who you are, and I thank you for your friendship.

Looking Forward

I am not one to make New Year's resolutions, so I won't resolve to do anything. However, I do plan to finish up and publish my book on Toy Camera Photography; get at least one photographic exhibit in; and sell more of my work.

I want to visit Canada and do some photography in places that I think are interesting.
I want to do some female figure photography and see if I am any good at it, or if I should stick to other things.
I will eventually sell off all of the various photographic estates sitting in my basement.
Do more darkroom printing.

Lastly, photography is a great medium, and since I can't draw or paint nor sculpt, it's my way of showing other what I see. I'm not good at crafts, either.

Have a great 2008!


Douglas Lake evening

No comments: