Sunday, January 13, 2008

Another Film Surprise - My Own Time Machine.

the boots do the talking
Eyes Wide Open - The Human Cost of the Iraq War (site is here)

Last week I developed a few more rolls of film that had been accumulating in my darkroom. One of them, a mystery roll, turned out to be a roll of Plus-X Pan that I had used in my Olympus Pen-D. A half-frame camera that was quite sturdy and reliable, but I don't think I ever fell in love with the half-frame format. I sold the camera to Kirk Teetzel last fall, and I hope he is enjoying it! This particular roll had sat in the camera for at least 5 years, as in the very beginning were shots that I recognized from our old house on Beacon Hill, followed by images that showed street improvements on South State, and other random shots; including a few from the Art Fair several summers ago, as the shot above of the Iraq War Boots Project that was on the UM Diag. The last shot was of the "Pringle" over by the new Life Sciences complex. I don't know why it took me so long to go through a roll of film on that camera, but then, it obviously wasn't one I used every day.


I think that was taken at the Big Boy that used to be on Washtenaw. That might be Anneka Goss in the photo.

Anyhow, you get the idea. The roll of film was like a little time capsule. That's one of the things I like about photography, and why I photograph.

Lastly, here's the camera:
Olympus Pen-D

No comments: