Monday, October 17, 2016

The Amazing Mr. Brown

Back in the summer, my Film Photography Project pals were involved in testing out some  odd films from the Svema factory (detailed on episode 152 of the FPP Podcast).   One of the films was uniquely brown, whereas the rest were yellow, lavender, blue, etc.  This unknown film became known as "Mr. Brown."  It has an ISO of 6, and while a bit punchy, is a film for "normal" photography. As if anything can be normal when using a camera with such slow film in it!  Those who have been following my blog know that I have been shooting slow films for quite a few years.  I bought a few rolls of Mr. Brown from the FPP store, and finally loaded up my Nikon N90s, set the ISO to 6, and went off to Fleming Creek yesterday.  I hoped to do some nice long exposures of the water while it was overcast.
 Using a 50 mm 1.8 AF-D Nikkor, and an 80-200 mm AF-D Nikkor on the N90s, I shot a roll of  Mr. Brown along Fleming Creek near Parker Mill. Exposures were at f/16 and f/11 in Aperture Priority mode, with the longest time at around 16 seconds, and many were in the 8-11 sec range.  The mushrooms were shot at f/8.

After I got home, I developed Mr. Brown in XTOL at 1:1 for 9 minutes at 20°C.  I just finished scanning in the negatives on my Epson V700 photo scanner.  To say I am impressed with the results would be an understatement!  The film is on a very strong and thin mylar base, and lies beautifully flat in the scanner. No curling, cupping, or other problems.  It scans beautifully.  Based upon my results, I may be tempted to try a roll at ISO 12 under similar situations.

Long exposures of water without using a ND filter is a plus, and this film warrants more experimentation.









5 comments:

Dave said...

I like the water photos, great work! I tired some long exposure stuff with their other ISO 6 film, and it didn't work out too good. I'll give it another go!

Adam Paul said...

Awesome results! I too have taken a serious love for this film and its slow tendencies. I do find that in bright light scenes, highlights tend to wash out a bit making me think I may shoot such scenes around 12 on future rolls. All told though, it's a great film, and I do look forward to using it in older cameras that tend to give low contrast.

Unknown said...

Really cool shots, congrats!
No such luck finding this kind of film here in Brazil. We have to make due with you old auntie Kodak Color 200.
It takes a lot to remain a filmhead 'round these parts... Yet, strangely, I still love it.

mfophotos said...

One of the attributes of this film is that it's not an ortho film, but does gray tones without special processing. Many low-ISO films are made primarily for high-contrast work, but not Mr. Brown.

Unknown said...

Mark, do you know how long the dev time would be for D76 and this film? I have three rolls from the FPP that I'd like to try out.