Saturday, May 24, 2008

Cornell Capa Passes on

The noted photojournalist Cornell Capa died at his home in Manhattan yesterday at the age of 90. He had a long and influential career as a photojournalist. His older brother, Robert Capa, perhaps a bigger "name" in the history of photography, died in 1954 on assignment in Indochina. In 1974, Cornell founded the International Center of Photography (ICP) in Manhattan as a center devoted to promoting and advancing the field of photojournalism. His achievements as a photographer for Life magazine and his 30 years as a photojournalist can be summarized by a quote of his:

“I am not an artist, and I never intended to be one,” he wrote in the 1992 book Cornell Capa: Photographs. “I hope I have made some good photographs, but what I really hope is that I have done some good photo stories with memorable images that make a point, and, perhaps, even make a difference.”

For more information,read the NY Times article. The ICP has a short bio of Cornell Capa on their site.

As a photographer, I would be happy that one photograph of mine makes a difference to someone.

No comments: