Over the past decade, I’ve shot a fair number of rolls of the Film Photography Project’s Svema 100 film. Manufactured in Ukraine, and still in stock from the FPP and its distributors, Svema 100 is a fine-grained, medium contrast film that is worth checking out if you haven’t shot with it. It’s on a tough polyester film base that lies extremely flat in my Epson V700 scanner, and I appreciate that a lot.
I’ve shot several rolls more recently, and would like to share some of the images with you. This first set was shot on my Pentax Spotmatic II, mostly along the Blue Ridge Parkway and Mt. Mitchell State Park. If you didn’t know, Mt. Mitchell is the tallest mountain east of the Mississippi, at 6,684 feet above sea level. You can also drive within short walk to the summit. On a sunny day, you can see a lot. However, you are more likely to find the mountain top to be either in the clouds or surrounded by lower-lying ground fog. Mt. Mitchell State Park is around an hour’s drive from my house, and is also as far N as I can currently drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
I used an SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8 lens – one of the sharpest lenses you will find, and often used an orange filter with the roll of Svema 100.
 |
| I never tire of views like this. |
 |
| Great view from the Porta-Johns at Craggy Pinnacle parking lot |
 |
| At an overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway |
 |
| Turk's Cap Lilly |
 |
| Mt. Mitchell picnic shelter detail |
 |
| It's a severe place there at times. |
I really like how these came out. I developed the film in FPP D-96 for 8 minutes at 20°C. If there is one complaint that I have, is that I find a 24 exposures go really fast for me, and would love to have a choice of 36 exposure rolls.
 |
| At Ball Photo in Asheville. Yes, those are copies of Monochrome Mania for sale there. |
 |
| Asheville Airport |
 |
| Redbud leaves - wide open |
 |
| coneflowers coming on. |
The second set was shot on my Pentax K2 as pictured at the top. Same developer. Quite different circumstances, and a range of subjects. Svema 100 had no problem in subdued lighting, bright sunny days, and everything in between.
If you are looking for a different 35mm emulsion to try, I highly recommend Svema 100. This is a film that would be fantastic in 4x5 and 120 -- if they ever make it.
No comments:
Post a Comment