Wednesday, May 31, 2023

The Fujica GL-690 Professional



It was about this time last year that I decided that I really wanted a Fujica 6x9 rangefinder, aka the “Texas Leica.”  A previous guest post here in 2016 had nothing to with it, but I do wish that I had purchased one about that time, as prices for medium format cameras of any kind have risen quite a bit.  It was during this search last year that I became aware of many different Fujica 6x9 models, and unfortunately, most of the sellers on eBay for these models are from Japan.  I looked and looked, and what I thought was a reasonable price were “mint” with fungus...  The more recent models such as the GW690 have fixed lenses, more ABS in the body, and were selling in the $600 range or higher.  A decade ago, I could have picked one up for $250.  Anyhow, I was hesitant to spend that much on a camera that had to be shipped from Japan.  

A while later, I checked my favorite camera store - KEH, and there was a Fujica GL690 body for sale for $360.  The beauty of the early G-690 series is that they are the original “Texas Leica” and can accept lenses of different focal lengths (although that lens selection is limited, but it's perfect for this camera).  They are also all-metal.  The Fujica GL690  was first released in 1974, and has a front and top deck shutter release - which I find very handy.  Of course, it uses 120 roll film, and gets 8 6x9cm shots per roll.  It could also shoot 220, but that film stock is no longer with us. One thing I found by accident, is that the screw-on eyepice diopters and plain glass covers that work with Nikons, such as the Nikkormats and F3, also fit the Fujica GL690 eyepiece.  Further reading online conforms this.

Okay, I had the body from KEH, but no lens was available, either at KEH or eBay.  Derek Keaton, a fellow photographer in Virginia, contacted me after I had posted about my search on Instagram. He had a 100mm Fujinon that might not be working, but it was free.  I figured that had to be the best deal ever, so he mailed it to me.  Yes, it was not working, but there is a camera repair shop not even 10 miles from my house.  So, I took the camera and lens over to Crystal Camera Repair and about a month later, I had my outfit back in perfect working order for $200.  



Now that I have been using my Fujica GL690 for about 8 months, I am more comfortable with its operation, and am aware of the quirks - like forgetting to release the shutter lock when removing the lens, and wondering why the camera was not working.  We are all done with the honeymoon period, and this summer, my plan is to use it more often.  I was in Murrels Inlet in SC back in early May, and shot 3 rolls of film with it, equalling 24 exposures. So, from the standpoint of a 35mm user, it’s similar to using my Leica M2, but everything is bigger, and with fewer shots/roll (but with easier film-loading!).  

I’ve mostly been using the camera on a tripod, because of what I shoot. However, if I load some Kentmere 400 into the camera, I can go with fully handheld.  It’s a big camera for sure, and that 100mm Fujinon lens is a real nice Tessar-design lens with a maximum aperture of f/3.5. I’ve got a Tamrac bag that the camera fits perfectly, with room for a light meter, film, and any filters I might need.  



Since it’s a rangefinder, one has to be aware of that, and the focus spot is pretty easy to see.  You are not going to have the same focus experience as say, a Pentax 6X7, which is an SLR.  It’s definitely like using a very large Leica M2. Since there is no built-in light meter, I use a handheld meter.  I might use my Pentax Spotmeter in the future, if I think it would be more helpful. However, the camera bag only has so much room.  

The aperture and shutter speeds are adjusted at the front end of the lens, and once I got used to it, it is quite easy to do.  Much like using a Hasselblad - all the controls are on the lens, which makes sense, since the shutter is IN the lens.  It’s not a focal plane shutter, and as a result, this is perhaps the quietest medium format camera that I have used.  I can barely hear the shutter open and close.  Maybe the Agfa Clack which has the same 6x9 format is quieter, but it’s just a box camera.  

The larger negatives are really nice.  If I wanted to, I could make contact prints with them - and I may do so in the future.  For now, just scanning them in on my Epson V700 is enough.  I have made a few prints from the negs with my Canon Pro 200 printer, and they just thrilled me with the detail that this camera can produce.  My only prior experience with a 6x9 rangefinder was the Kodak Medallist II, and the Fujica is a whole world apart in user interface and ease of use.

So, this new camera gives me the opportunity to make images on a larger chunk of film with the ease of use of a rangefinder camera, with the same aspect ratio as 35mm.  It’s a keeper, and I look forward to using it a lot more this year.

Here are a few samples of what I have shot thus far:

  

Rocky Fork State Park, TN, RPX25

Rocky Fork State Park, TN, RPX25


Brookgreen Gardens, SC, Ilford HP5

Attalaya, SC, Kentmere 400

Carl Milles sculpture, Brookgreen Gardens, SC
Kentmere 400

Brookgreen Gardens, SC, Kentmere 400

French Broad River, NC, Rollei RPX 25

No comments: