Saturday, May 25, 2013

Traveling Light with the Nikon 1 J1

A week ago, I was in Chicago on work business.  A group of us from the university visited the Field Museum and the Oriental Institute to assess a software package they are using.   Anyhow, we took the train Chicago and stayed the night at the Allegro Hotel on Randolph Street.  We had great weather, and I was on the move most of the time with my co-workers.  I knew I would have only a bit of time for any photography, so  I took my Nikon 1 J1 with the 10mm 2.8 lens (=28mm in 35mm format). This proved to be an excellent choice.  I mostly shot in b&w, and the camera did an excellent job with the tonality.  Weighing very little, it was great to carry around, and the 10mm lens allowed me to crop images to square format.    Here are few shots from the trip.

lines
From the train.

rush hour
Rush Hour

raking light, Chicago
Raking Light

rush hour
Rush Hour

rush hour
stairs

night lives
On the phone

Light fountain
Light Fountain

The Nikon 1 system has changed my thinking about smaller sensors.  The cameras are light, nimble, and capable of quality photography.

No comments: