Sunday, April 03, 2011

Ready, Set, Show!

Michigan Roadsides Reception

I have been getting my work ready for a solo show that I am hanging tomorrow at The Common Cup, 1511 Washtenaw Avenue, Ann Arbor (runs from April 5 to May 6). Coming on the heels of my exhibit of water/ice photos at Matthaei Botanical gardens, this one has been a lot more work and angst. With 30 pieces, this exhibit shows some of my photographs taken roaming the roads of Michigan, and is titled "Michigan Roadside Adventures. I finished up all the labels and packed up the work today, and I am ready to hang it all tomorrow afternoon, with help from a couple of friends. Selecting images for this show was a challenge, and I did not want repetition. I have no lack of photographs from all over Michigan, and could easily have a show on: barns, grain elevators, theaters, signs, etc. The photographs were mostly shot digitally, though there are a few that were the result of film scans. All except the Polaroids were printed by mpix, and I highly recommend them.

Two Polaroid pieces

I have 12 16x20, 11 11X14, 3 18x18, 1 18x24, 2 8x20 and 1 10x20" framed pieces, and the 16x20" frames were the big expense. I like framing small -- it's a hell of a lot cheaper! However, I am pleased with the larger images. There is a lot of space to fill at The Common Cup, and tomorrow I'll wrestle with the positioning and order of the images.
Tawas Gull

Many of the photos were shot in 2006, when I was driving all over with Marjorie for her project on Michigan theaters. The Tawas Gull shot above, remains one of my favorites.
Right now, I am ready for a nap, but I will post some images of the set-up tomorrow.

No comments: