Sunday, August 08, 2010

Dexter Film Scramble


Dexter Film Scramble
Originally uploaded by Voxphoto.

The photograph above, taken by Ross Orr, shows what are definitely un-crappy cameras-- especially Denis' Leica M6.

Last Tuesday we had our monthly Ann Arbor Area Crappy Camera Club Meeting. I set up the activity for the evening as something to get people out of their comfort zone just a bit. The rules were simple. Everyone participating had to bring a 35mm film canister with a roll of film of their choice. Once we were assembled in front of Huron Camera in Dexter, we placed the film into a bag and I shook it up, and each person then had to use whatever roll of film they pulled out. We had about 90 minutes to shoot the roll, and meet up back at the Dexter Pub.
My reasoning was that we tend to shoot films we are used to, and with advance preparation, we might choose to use a particular film for a specific situation. When you are forced to use whatever film you receive, you might shoot different subjects or shoot them differently because of the film type.

We had a good time, and I ended up shooting mostly along Warrior Creek. I had taken the wrong camera bag, as most of my 49mm filters that I would use with the Olympus OM-1 were not with me, and all I had was a polarizer. The film I ended up with was Ilford HP-5 Plus -- a 400 ISO film that is similar to Kodak Tri-X. Anyhow, I made do, and I think it worked out okay. At least nobody was evil enough to drop in a roll of Kodalith or slide-duplication film!


Big Trucks.


Warrior Creek, at about 1/15 sec.


shadows on the coffeehouse wall

No comments: