Saturday, July 05, 2008

The Argus C-4 and a show in the works

Of all the Argus cameras that I own, one particular model still gets used by me a few times a year -- the Argus C-4. Despite the lack of removable lenses (not necessarily a deteriment, and the Geiss-modified C-4 did allow that), and a limited range of shutter speeds (only B, 1/10, 1/25, 1/50, 1/100 and 1/300) - the C-4 is a very usable camera, and looks quite elegant compared to the old workhorse, the Argus C-3.
Argus 5th

The camera pictured above is one that I bought about 8 years ago, and was one of my very first Argus camera purchases. I have shot with it in quite a few places, and it is a pretty reliable camera. Of course, I have more than one -- my other user C-4 was purchased a few years ago at an estate sale in Ann Arbor. It was given to the owner by his wife as a Christmas gift, and she worked for Argus. So, that makes that particular camera a little special in terms of history. A few weeks ago, I packed the first camera for a trip to Munising, and then to Burt Lake and to Cross Village for Photostock 2008 (see previous post). There was a roll of TechPan in it - at least that was what the label on the top of the camera indicated. So, I finished off the roll of TechPan at AuTrain falls, figuring the slower speed film would allow me to get some better photos of blurred water. Imagine my surprise when I developed the film the other night and saw negatives from the last time I shot with that camera --- Nebraska, 2003! Argus #2 must have been getting most of the workouts in the past few years.
Conestoga Wagon, circa 2003
From Carhenge, Alliance, Nebraska, July 2003.

My other use for the camera was to reshoot the old lighthouse ruins at Cheboygan State Park. I shot it in 200o or 2001 with the C-4, and wondered if a few years more experience might provide me with different images. I'd like to think the second time was better, but the mosquitoes there were just fierce. So, it was a battle to get the images I wanted. This one is okay, but nothing special - blame the mosquitoes.

ruination
Ruination

My best shots with the C-4 from the trip were at AuTrain Falls:
Autrain Falls

The rest of the title for this post refers to the fact that the Ann Arbor Area Crappy Camera Club will be showing a series of images taken with Argus cameras, in memory of our friend George O'Neal, who passed away last August. The title: Vintage Cameras - Contemporary Images. The show will open in mid-September at the Argus Museum in Ann Arbor. I will be posting more about it later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looking good..! That camera is fully inspired by vintage trend.