Saturday, September 02, 2006

Stone House Memories


Stone House
Originally uploaded by argusmaniac.
I've been in sort of a reflective mood all week, and in looking for a negative for a photo that is to appear in Lightleaks magazine, I came across of series of negatives that i shot with a Holga in 2002. Funny how things turn up. I scanned several of the negatives, as I don't recall ever making prints from them -- I'm really pleased with the images. I have taken a lot of color slides of Ives Lake and Stone House in the Huron Mountain Club while I was doing research there a week or so almost every summer, from 1984 - 2003. I don't think any of them have the emotional appeal that the shots from the Holga do.


Of all of the places I have been in Michigan, the time I spent as a researcher at Ives Lake remain some of my best memories. The quiet lake with it silence punctuated by the loon calls, is a place that I have been priviledged to stay at. I may never have a chance to go back, and there are some shots that I know would be an improvement over the ones I took back in the 1980s and early 90s. The Stone House is an amazing structure, built by Longyear around 1910 or so.


No comments: