Saturday, December 05, 2020

The 2021 Calendar is Available

Every year for the past 10 years, I have produced a calendar. For years, they were of the gardens and flowers, but the past few years I have had a different focus. Last year it was trees, and Water is this year’s theme for my annual calendar. Most of the images were shot on film, and all are in monochrome, my favorite medium.  The calendars are on heavy glossy card stock, and wire-bound, with enough room to write events on the pages.

 I can’t think of a sound more relaxing and calming as the one I hear from a babbling brook. A rushing stream with small cascades is a common feature of my new home. Moving from Michigan to the mountains of North Carolina has opened up a whole new world of easily accessed photo opportunities, and while there are many amazing waterfalls, the details in a small creek can be just as interesting. Half of the images in this calendar were shot within 30 minutes of my home in Weaverville, NC. The other half are from previous years and many different places. 


Photographing moving water can be challenging, and my aim has always been to stretch time, and let the water flow be represented as how I hear it. We don't hear waterfalls at 1/200 sec - we hear them as a continuous, varying sound, and that's how I approach my photography of them. In those long exposures, I see the variables, the different angles and arcs the water makes as it flows downstream. A small trickle has the same patterns as a much larger stream, and it's somewhat like a fractal. The effect is the same, and just as mesmerizing if you take the time to look. 

 Here's a list of the images, and you can purchase the calendar for $19, which includes US postage. Sorry, but I am not selling these outside the USA. The link to place an order is to the right, under LINKS! 

  • Cover – Rocky Fork State Park, TN. 
  • January – Great Falls, CT 
  • February – Foggy morning along the Huron River, Ann Arbor, MI 
  • March – Laughing Whitefish Falls, Alger Co., MI 
  • April – Ash Cave Falls, Hocking Hills, OH 
  • May – Beads of dew on webs, Mackinac Co., MI 
  • June – Creek in South Georgian Bay, Ontario 
  • July – Ivy Creek, Barnardsville, NC 
  • August – Bass Pond, Biltmore Estate, Asheville, NC 
  • September – Rocky Fork State Park, TN 
  • October – Stormy afternoon, Blue Ridge Mountains, NC 
  • November – Rocky Fork State Park, TN 
  • December – French Broad River, Asheville, NC
The last date for orders is December 15th.









No comments: