Thursday, December 20, 2012

More N90s Love

A few posts ago, I discussed my new used Nikon N90s that I bought for $20.  I liked it so much that I bought another one on ebay in like-new condition with the MB-10 battery holder and vertical grip for $51.00.  This one has all the caps for the terminals, the LCD works perfectly, and it's a joy to use.  This is the first time that I have owned an SLR with the ability to shoot vertical with the second shutter release on the grip.  It really makes that a lot easier!
N90s with the MB-10.  It's no lightweight, but it is a pleasure to use.
This got me to thinking about how often others might buy a camera that has a few quirks at a cheap price, only to buy a better one because the first camera convinced you that it was worth having the upgrade.  Or, how many times others enjoy a certain camera model so much that whenever the opportunity came about to buy another, they do.  I know I have 2 Nikon FMs, and if I saw another one cheap that worked, I probably would not be able to resist buying it. 


2 comments:

Jamie Zucek said...

This has happened to me and is a perfectly valid tactic. However, I tend to refine each purchase as I go.

I bought a low-end Rollei B35 a while back and wound up carrying it everywhere. My wife bought me a Rollei 35S recently which is an upgrade, but we never would have gotten it without the B35 first.
I have had an Nikkor AF 50mm/1.8 for a long time, but recently bought another AiS version of the same optics just because I like it so much but wanted the classic metal construction.

I use my Nikon SB-30 flash so much (small, supports TTL and self-meters as needed) I am on the lookout for another one at a good price so that I have redundancy.

And conversely if the initial “tester” purchase doesn’t work out (hate the design, controls, size is not right, etc.) you don’t feel as bad leaving it on the shelf when you got it at a bargain in the first place.

Anonymous said...

I agree. The Nikon N90s was/is some camera! The only reasons I never purchased one was because it didn't have mirror-lock-up and because the camera couldn't tell, while in matrix metering mode, if it was horizontal or vertical. So the matrix metering pattern didn't adjust (like the Nikon F4 did). Still a wonderful camera, though. Nice write-up, Mark!